Returns Refunds & Money-Back Policies
- Returns & Refunds for Sellers
- Condition of returned items policy
- Ask BAR Global to step in
- Appeal BAR Global’s decision about a return or missing item for sellers
- BAR Global Money Back Guarantee
- BAR Global Sales Workflow Policy for Sellers
- Cancel Transaction Policy
- Best practices for avoiding and handling issues with buyers
Returns & Refunds for Sellers
Briefly…If a customer has a problem with their order, or if they change their mind about a purchase, they’ll get in touch with you and ask for help. Once the buyer tells you there’s a problem, you’ve got 8 calendar days to resolve it. If an item has gone missing and hasn’t arrived, you’ll either need to provide additional/more detailed tracking details, or offer a replacement or refund. If the buyer got their item but it’s faulty, damaged, or doesn’t match the listing description, you’ll have to work with them to resolve their issue – you’ll also have to cover the return postage costs. If they changed their mind, how you can respond, and who pays for return postage, will depend on your return policy. If a buyer wants to return an item to you, how you can respond will depend on why they’re returning it and on your return policy. If it’s faulty, damaged, or doesn’t match the description, you’ll have to accept their return request, even if you don’t offer returns. When you create a BAR Global account, you’ll add your return policy web address and can choose whether or not to accept returns when a buyer changes their mind about a purchase. However, if an order arrives faulty or damaged, or if the buyer receives the wrong item or if you have no/invalid returns policy web address, they’re always entitled to return it to you. When you receive a return request, we’ll send a message to your registered email address – it’ll also be available in your Messages. To ensure the issue is resolved as quickly as possible, we ask that you respond within 8 calendar days.
When an item is not received by the buyerIn the BAR Global app, navigate to the Resolution Centre and view the request details. You’ll find information on whether the buyer is requesting a refund or would prefer to still receive the item. You’ll also see your response options: Add tracking details – You can provide tracking information showing the date you posted the item, the date it was delivered, and the address it was delivered to. If the item is worth £750 or more, it should also show the signature confirmation of the recipient. Refund the buyer – The buyer will get a full refund, including the original postage costs. Choose this option if you don’t have tracking that shows the item was delivered or tracking details that shows that the package has been in transit without movement for 7 days or more. Send a message to the buyer – If you’d like to speak with the buyer directly to try and resolve their issue, you can send them a message. If you and the buyer can’t agree on a resolution within 8 calendar days, you can ask BAR Global to step in and help. Sending a replacement item – If the buyer would rather have the item than a refund, use the “Send a message” option to offer them a replacement. Once you’ve sent the replacement, let them know it’s on the way and upload tracking information to the request.
The buyer received the wrong item, or it arrived damaged or faultyIf a buyer receives an item that wasn’t as described in the listing, or if it arrives damaged or faulty, they can return it to you even if your return policy states you don’t accept returns. Here are your response options: Accept the return – The buyer will send the item back to you for a full refund, including the original postage cost. You’ll also be responsible for covering return postage costs. Give a full refund – You’ll issue a full refund to the buyer, including original postage costs, and they’ll keep the item. This is a good option for low-value items. Send the buyer a message – If you have any questions regarding the buyers request, you can contact them directly. If you can’t agree on a resolution to the issue after 8 calendar days, you can always ask us to step in and help.
You accept returns in your policy and the buyer changed their mind about a purchaseIf you stated in your listing’s return policy that you accept returns, your buyer can return the item to you, even if they’ve changed their mind. Here are your response options: Accept the return – The buyer will send the item back to you for a full refund, including the original postage cost. If you stated in your returns policy that you’ll cover return postage costs, choose how you’ll arrange for the item to be returned. Give a full refund – You’ll issue a full refund to the buyer and they’ll keep the item. Send the buyer a message – If you have any questions regarding the buyers request, you can contact them directly. If you can’t agree on a resolution to the issue after 8 calendar days, you can always ask us to step in and help.
You don’t accept returns in your policy and the buyer changed their mind about a purchaseIf you stated in your listing that you don’t accept returns when a buyer changes their mind, you’re not obliged to accept their return request. However, if you do, you’ll be providing a great customer experience and encouraging the buyer to purchase from you in the future. Here are your response options: Accept the return – The buyer will send the item back to you for a full refund, including the original postage cost. Give a full refund – You’ll issue a full refund to the buyer. This is a good option for low-value items. Decline the return – If you’ve stated in your listing that you don’t accept returns, you can decline the return request. Send the buyer a message – If you have any questions regarding the buyers request, you can contact them directly. If you can’t agree on a resolution to the issue after 8 calendar days, you can always ask us to step in and help.
Refunding the buyerWhen you agree to give the buyer their money back, or once you receive the returned item, you’ll need to issue their refund within 2 business days. To do this, simply go to the case in your Returns dashboard and choose Refund buyer. If you don’t refund the buyer within 2 business days of receiving the item, and the buyer has uploaded return tracking, we may automatically issue a refund to them on your behalf. When you issue a refund to the buyer, they’ll be refunded through their original payment card. It usually takes 3 to 5 business days for a PayPal refund to go through. If they paid with a credit card, it may take up to 30 days to process depending on their card provider. We’ll also automatically update your item quantity for you. If you don’t want your item quantity to be updated, simply edit item’s quantity after cancellation box when issuing the refund. Note: When you receive the item back, make sure to check it carefully before issuing a refund. If it isn’t returned to you in the condition it should be, you can ask us to step in and help. Learn more about our Condition of returned items policy. When you issue a refund to the buyer, the full amount of the item (including any fulfilment charges) will be refunded to the buyer.
Who pays for return postage (you or the buyer) depends on the reason they’re returning the item and your return policy.If the buyer is sending an item back because it doesn’t match the listing description or it arrived damaged or faulty, you’re responsible for the cost of return postage, even if you don’t offer returns. If they simply changed their mind or ordered the wrong item, who pays for return postage is determined by your return policy. If you stated you offer free returns, you’ll have to pay, otherwise you can ask the buyer to cover the cost. Note: We recommend using a tracked service for return postage. Tracking lets you know the item is on its way, and BAR Global can see the progress of the return in case we’re asked to step in.
Return postage optionsIf you’ve accepted the buyer’s return or offered to send them a replacement, you can choose one of the following options to let them post the item back to you. Ask the buyer to use a label you sent along with the item If you included a return postage label with the item when you sent it to the buyer, you can let them know that they should use that to send it back to you. Offer to send the funds for the return postage cost Use the carrier’s postage calculator to find out how much return postage will cost. If you’re unable to determine the cost, contact the buyer and ask them to provide a quote. Ensure that the amount includes a tracked service, and signature confirmation if the item’s worth is £750 or more. Here’s how to send funds to the buyer: Contact the buyer through Messages, and ask which PayPal account they’d like the funds sent to. Send the funds by logging into your PayPal account and selecting the “Send” feature. Ask the buyer to confirm that they have received the funds, and to upload tracking to the return request so you can see that the item is on its way. Accommodate the return another way If you’d prefer, you can provide the buyer with another method of returning the item. For instance, you can offer to pick up the item in person, or let them drop the item off at your closest store. If you want to provide an alternative method of returning the item, simply select Confirm you will facilitate the return from the Resolution details section.
Misuse of this featureThis feature is incentive for you to provide buyers with exceptional experiences, such as offering free returns. This feature may not be used to recoup market losses on items returned in the same condition or recoup return shipping and restocking fees. It may only be used to recoup losses when an item is returned in a different condition to how it was sent. Sellers who misuse this feature may be subject to a range of actions, such as losing access to this feature, or suspension from buying, selling, or using other site features.
Finally…We know that our sellers want to provide buyers with a great experience, but sometimes you’re not able to reach an agreement, or you may disagree with their reason for returning the item. If you and the buyer haven’t been able to resolve the issue within 8 calendar days, we’re always ready to step in and help.
Condition of returned items policy
What are the guidelines?Returned items that do not meet the below criteria may be subject to denial of a full refund of the item’s value. To be eligible for a return the exact item you purchased must be returned. General return requirements Same or unaltered condition (not an exhaustive list):
- Unused, unaltered, with no damage or signs of use outside of the listed item condition or how it was received
- All parts must be intact
- Should be returned with original product packaging: boxes, UPCs, bags or any items used to wrap and protect the item
- Must include all items that were included in the original package, such as cords, cables, remote controls, manuals, warranty and rebate cards, free gifts or bonus items
- Items must have original tags, labels, and/or any accompanying materials that were originally included
Ask BAR Global to step in
When you can ask BAR Global to step inOnce the buyer has let you know that they have an issue, you have 8 calendar days to make things right. After that, if the matter hasn’t been resolved, either of you can ask us to step in and help out. You don’t have to ask us to step in immediately after the 8 calendar days though – if you’re still working things through with the buyer, you have up to 30 days after their purchase to ask us for help.
What happens after you ask BAR Global to step inWe’ll review your case and resolve it in the fairest way possible. We normally come back with an answer within 48 hours, though occasionally it might take longer if we need more information. Once we’ve made a decision, we’ll let you and the buyer know. If we close the case in your favour, the case will be closed immediately and you won’t need to do anything else If we close the case in the buyer’s favour, we’ll issue them a full refund and then seek reimbursement from you. The case will be counted as “closed without seller resolution”, which may affect your seller standards If you don’t agree with our decision, you can always appeal by providing new information within 30 days of the case being closed
Appeal BAR Global’s decision about a return or missing item for sellers
Briefly…If you don’t agree with our decision after we’ve stepped in to help resolve an issue between you and your buyer, you can appeal by providing new information within 30 days of the case being closed. Whenever we’re asked to step in and help with an issue, we do our best to come to the fairest decision. Sometimes, though, you might not agree with our decision, especially if there’s additional information you can provide that you think should be considered. When you make an appeal, we’ll review the case and any new information you provide and come back to you with a final decision. Normally we’ll get back to you within 48 hours, though occasionally it can take a little longer. Note: You can appeal a decision at any time within 30 days of the case being closed.
Information you’ll need when appealingIf you want to appeal the decision on a case, you’ll need to provide new, additional information, to back up your appeal. This can include things like: For Sellers
- Proof that a returned item was delivered to the wrong address, or lost in the post
- Photos and/or documents showing the item was returned damaged
- Proof the buyer received a refund before the case was closed
- Tracking details showing that the seller received the item you returned
- Proof that your item was delivered to the wrong address
- A copy of a police report if applicable
BAR Global Money Back Guarantee
What is this?BAR Global Money Back Guarantee means you’re protected if the item you ordered didn’t arrive, is faulty or damaged, or doesn’t match the listing description. You’ll get your money back. Buyers can use the BAR Global Money Back Guarantee process when:
- An item isn’t received
- An item received doesn’t match the listing
What’s covered and not coveredMost transactions on BAR Global are covered by the BAR Global Money Back Guarantee. Covered Purchases are covered by the BAR Global Money Back Guarantee when all of the following are true:
- An item isn’t received or it isn’t as described in the listing
- A buyer reports that they didn’t receive an item or requests a return within the BAR Global Money Back Guarantee timelines
- The purchases were made on BAR Global with payment processed through PayPal or PayPal Credit via checkout.
- The items were paid for in a single payment, including payments with PayPal Credit
- Items collected in person are covered, provided all of the above conditions are met
- Buyer’s remorse or any reason other than not receiving an item or receiving an item that isn’t as described in the listing.
- Duplicate claims through other resolution methods.
- Items sent to another address after original delivery
- Vehicles, Real Estate, Business & Websites for Sale, Digital Content, Intangible Goods, Classified Ads, Services, Tickets, and some Business Equipment categories
- Items damaged during collection
- Collection items damaged during shipment when shipment arranged by the buyer
- Items collected by a third party on behalf of the buyer
- Items not collected by the buyer
When a buyer doesn’t receive an itemIf a buyer doesn’t receive an item, the buyer needs to submit a request to report that the item hasn’t arrived. The seller should address the buyer’s concern and provide updates on the delivery of the item, tracking information, or a refund. If the buyer isn’t happy with the seller’s response or doesn’t receive a response, the buyer can ask us to step in and help. If asked to step in and help, we review the information provided by the buyer and seller for evidence of successful on-time delivery to the buyer’s address (as displayed on the ‘Workflow’ page), or proof of collection by the buyer. Information required to prove a successful on-time delivery is all of the following:
- Tracking number uploaded to the site by the seller before the estimated delivery date;
- A delivery status of “delivered” (or equivalent in the country to which the item was delivered);
- The date of delivery;
- The recipient’s address, showing at least the city/county or postcode (or international equivalent) that matches the one found on the ‘Order details’ page; and
- Signature confirmation, recommended always or particularly if an item has a total cost of £750 or more.
When an item doesn’t match the listingIf a buyer receives an item that doesn’t match the listing, the buyer needs to submit a request to return the item. The seller should address the buyer’s concern and offer a solution, such as accepting a return or offering a replacement or refund. In some cases we may automatically accept a return request on the seller’s behalf. If the buyer doesn’t receive a response and a solution, or returns the item but doesn’t receive a refund or replacement from the seller, the buyer can ask us to step in and help. If asked to step in and help, we review the listing, photos of the item if provided by the buyer or seller, plus any other information about the item that the buyer and seller provide. If we can’t determine that the item matches the listing, if the seller has already offered a return, or the sellers stated return window and policy applies, we may ask the buyer to return the item to the seller. When an item is returned to the seller
- Buyers may be liable for any loss in value of the item if this loss in value is attributed to a handling which is not necessary for the purpose of checking the quality, characteristics and functioning of the item. Some sellers may deduct the amount of loss from the amount reimbursed to buyer
- The seller is required to accept the return at the same location specified in the listing
- The cost of return postage is the seller’s responsibility. For items being returned with a total cost of £750 or more, signature confirmation is required
- The seller pays for any customs charges on the returned item
- The seller chooses not to accept a return request or provide or fund a return postage label
- The item location was misrepresented
- It’s hazardous to post the item back
- The item no longer has a value, for example products with an expiration date
TimelinesItem not received/collected
- A buyer can report that they didn’t receive/were unable to collect an item once the item’s latest estimated delivery/collection date has passed and for 30 days after the latest estimated delivery/collection date
- The seller has 8 days from the report to respond to the buyer or offer a solution. If the seller does not respond or offer a solution, the buyer can ask us to step in and help. The seller must have uploaded the tracking information for the item on to the site before the buyer asks us to step in and help for it to be considered.
- A buyer must request a return no later than 30 days after the collection date or the actual (or latest estimated) delivery date, or, if the seller’s return window is longer, within the return window
- The seller has 8 days from the request to respond to the buyer with a solution. If the seller does not respond with a solution, the buyer can ask us to step in and help. The buyer must ship the item back to the seller within 14 days from when the buyer submits the return request
- For items where there’s no tracking uploaded by the buyer, if the seller doesn’t issue a refund within 2 business days of the item’s delivery to the seller, the buyer can ask us to step in and help for a period of 10 business days after the refund deadline has passed
- For items where the buyer has uploaded tracking, if the seller doesn’t issue a refund within 2 business days of the item’s delivery to the seller, we will automatically issue the buyer a full refund on the seller’s behalf. The seller will be required to reimburse us for such refunds.
- If the buyer doesn’t ask us to step in and help within 21 business days of starting a request for a return where no tracking information is uploaded (or the timelines described if a refund or replacement isn’t received), the request closes automatically
AppealsBuyers and sellers have an opportunity within 30 days from when we make a decision about a transaction issue to appeal the decision by providing appropriate documentation. We reserve the right to seek reimbursement from the seller if a buyer successfully appeals.
Refunds to buyersRefunds from BAR Global are through PayPal refund processing system. Monies are refunded into the same payment card used for the payment transaction. In the unlikely event we’re unable to send refunds through PayPal, we may provide refunds by alternative means.
Seller funds, reimbursements, and feesSeller funds After a buyer reports that they didn’t receive an item or requests a return, or asks BAR Global to step in and help, a seller’s funds for that item may be held by BAR Global. Reimbursements If a seller is required to reimburse the buyer or BAR Global , the reimbursement amount is removed from their BAR Global account. Seller fees If a seller issues a buyer a full refund before we’re asked to step in and help, we credit the seller’s final value fee.
Using other programmes to address a concernBuyers can’t use more than one resolution method to get a refund. If a buyer files an external dispute, any cases opened through BAR Global Money Back Guarantee for the same transaction are immediately closed.
Fraudulent claimsFraudulent claims may include:
- A buyer opening excessive requests or duplicate requests using other programmes
- A buyer colluding with a seller to wrongly declare an item’s value for customs
- A buyer filing a chargeback after receiving a refund
- Buyers and sellers permit us to make final decisions about all cases, including appeals
- We may provide buyers and sellers access to each other’s names, usernames, contact information, and other information relating to a request
- When a buyer and seller don’t speak the same language, we may assist with communication until the issue is resolved
- The BAR Global Money Back Guarantee is not a product warranty
- In some situations, we may open a request on behalf of the buyer. This may include situations in which a seller is suspended for fraudulent activity
- We reserve the right to fix any processing errors we discover by debiting or crediting the payment card used for the incorrect refund or reimbursement
BAR Global Sales Workflow Policy for Sellers
Sample Fulfillment Workflow Chart
Cancel Transaction Policy
<h4″>How to cancel a transaction You can cancel a transaction by taking the steps below using the BAR Global app:
- Navigate to the Orders page from the menus.
- If you have not signed in, you will be prompted to sign in.
- Select the Sales Orders tab (if you are the seller) or Purchase Orders tab (if you are the buyer).
- Locate the order on the list and tap on the arrow button.
- Then tap on the cancel button.
- On the popup page, selected the cancellation reason and tap on the Cancel Order button to cancel the order.
When to cancel a transactionYou can cancel a transaction as long as:
- You haven’t sent the item yet (i.e. Awaiting Confirmation or Awaiting Dispatch).
- The buyer hasn’t asked us to step in and help because they didn’t receive the item
What happens after you cancel a transactionSince BAR Global uses PayPal payment processing system, a full refund will be issued automatically. Once the buyer has been refunded, you’ll receive a refund notification email alert. For more information on refunds, see our Returns & Refunds for Sellers.
Best practices for avoiding and handling issues with buyers
Briefly…There are some simple, practical steps you can take to reduce the risk of something going wrong with your buyers’ purchases. When a buyer has an issue with an order, it doesn’t just risk creating an unhappy customer, it can also create extra work for you. Below are some tips to consider while listing and posting your item. If a buyer does get in touch to let you know they’ve had a problem, there are also a few best practices to keep in mind while working with them to resolve their issue.
When listing your item
- It’s important to set proper expectations for the buyer – make sure your listing title and item descriptions are accurate, and include plenty of photos, making sure to highlight any scuffs or blemishes
- Provide as many item specifics as you can – you want the buyer to know exactly what they’re buying
- State your return policy clearly in your listing. If you’re happy to accept returns, you can automatically accept them, issue refunds, and even provide return postage. This can make the process much easier for the buyer, and much less effort for you
- When stating your dispatch time, make sure it’s something you can manage. Failing to post on time can lead to your item arriving late
After your listing ends
- Use a postage service that provides tracking, and upload the details as soon as possible. This lets the buyer know where their item is, and it helps to protect you in case they claim they don’t receive their item.
- Make sure to pack the item securely and carefully, to reduce the chance of if being damaged in transit – while an item can be in perfect condition when you post it, if it arrives damaged, the buyer is entitled to send it back to you
- Provide the buyer with any appropriate proofs of authenticity for the item, but make sure to keep copies of them, in case we need to ask you to prove that the item is genuine
- If your returns policy states you accept returns and cover return postage, consider including a returns label in the package in case the buyer has an issue. This will make things easier for both of you if the buyer needs to send the item back to you
Working with the buyerIt’s important to work with your buyer and help them resolve any issues that may come up with their order. Here are some steps you can take:
- If a buyer lets you know that they have a problem with their purchase, you should respond to them as quickly as possible. Keep in mind that you have 8 calendar days to resolve their issue before they can ask us to step in and help
- When communicating with the buyer, do your best to be polite and professional in your responses, even when they’re upset or angry. It helps to provide a better customer experience, and might make it easier to come to an agreement about their issue
- If the buyer wants to return the item, they may accept a replacement, where you send them the same item again, or an exchange, where you send them a similar but different item